Monday, January 9, 2012

Things I've learned as a Mom...almost been 1 year!!

I started this list when Maddox was 4 months old and just ran across it. I kept adding things to it and forgot to post it. Almost been one year, wow time does fly. It did feel like time was sooo slow when I was feeding him at 2 in the morning but man it really has gone fast. He'll be one on Jan 20th!!

I just re-read these and was laughing outloud. Man the things you learn, being a mom, and a new one at that is such a trip!!

The list starts here...

I'm not a newborn person, let's face it. You either are or you're not. I love 6 months on, sooo much better for me when they interact!!

Always put bib tabs together through the wash, they stick to everything!!

Question: why don't they make ALL zippy jammies, they're soo much easier then those snappy ones!

My world was rocked for awhile!! It really is life changing and you have to revamp how you run your life now. We have to start getting ready to go out 1- 1 1/2 hrs before our distination time. This took us awhile to get used to.

Point the boys "business" down, we went through 8 diapers in one hour one night when he was 3 weeks old, I remember thinking that night, KILL ME NOW!!

Wash behind your ears isn't just a saying. I looked behind Maddox's ears one day, YIKES!! He was building a city with his dried milk, spit and what have you and I FREAKED out!! I had just gave him a bath earlier that morning and you'd thought it had been months, not ok!! So always wash behind their ears.

Speaking of bathing, let's be honest, he gets a bath 1-2 times a week. Is this normal?!

They should pass antidepressants out like Pez candy, I'll do myself the favor next time and take some. I battled it out without drugs and it wasn't a fun ride!!

You can never have too many bibs.

Teething babies get fevers and runny noses. Maybe a no brainer for you but I was not aware of this!!

They make buckles and brakes on strollers for a reason...we had a falling out incident, literally onto the cement sidewalk, I repeat, the CEMENT sidewalk! A little 3 month old, his first visit to the ER was uneventful, not even a bump to show for it but sure did give this first time mom a heart attack!! So take my mistake into consideration and ALWAYS buckle your babies!! The Dr said the most accidents are when they tumble out of the shopping carts because they aren't buckled in, just and FYI!!

Cutting fingernails is the worst!! I almost cut his finger off when he was like 2 months old, he cried I cried, not a good situation.

You now understand when people talk about their kids...you get it. Before you wanted to tell them to shut up about their damn kids and what they do and don't eat. About how many times they puked in one night or what they laughed at the night before, I get it now. I'm that mom.

Everyone told me my animals would be second fiddle...I swore up and down they were totally wrong, not ever true blah blah blah...guess who's playing the fiddle, my furballs:(

By night time you start to count down the time until bedtime...don't act like you don't!!

Bath time is suuuuper scary!! Why the crap are they so slippery!! I'm surprised you don't hear about deaths by slippery bodies in the water, it makes me all sweaty and scared!!

I sucked at tummy time when he was teeny tiny and to this day, Jan 9th, Maddox hates being on the ground on his hands and knees.

You learn what works for you and your baby and it gets better each day...I promise it will if you're at that point in your life and it's not...it will

I can say the words "our next baby" that's a big step, for awhile he was going to be an only child, haha!!

I can watch him sleep all night, so cute when they're sleeping.

Breastfeeding came suuuper easy to him and I. He stopped at 6 months because the leche production team was dwindeling so we got rid of the breast :D

Anything you'd like to add feel free!! All moms welcome, especially if it'll help us first timers over here!!

7 comments:

Davis and Laura said...

I love this! I remember saying we were only having one kid too...now Marshall is 2 1/2 and I'm 28 weeks...things change! :) Happy you guys are doing well and enjoying the little dude! :)

Tara said...

Thats good advice! :)

Kami Satterlee said...

EVERYTHING is true..so so true. :)

Krista Hegstrom said...

SO true - isn't it silly how we forget so easily when we swear up and down we will NEVER do that again - I'm about to pop out number two in a month. Carazy stuff.

Megan Cahoon said...

I love this!! It's all totally true! I experienced every single one of these. I had the same wash behind the ears experience...oh my goodness so disgusting. I had been wiping behind his ears at bathtime but not scrubbing, you need to scrub dang milk. And I agree with the bathtime I think most our almost accidents were because he just slipped right out of my hands ahhh so scary. i loved this post I think it's a great idea people don't tell you the small things like the pointing the little boy down oh my... we had accidents every time he went potty it was through the entire outfit. I'm thinking all moms must feel the same about an only child thing! Thanks for this linds, it totally reminded me of the last year, such good times!!

Hailey said...

I'm so glad you wrote all this down:) I sat here and laughed at each little one!!!!!! So cute and so fun, time and experience makes one wise, that's for sure!!!!!!! You'll be a pro now with you next......and glad you can actually say that, it would be so sad to be an only child:) Much love, miss you guys, give the little one a kiss for me:) See ya at the wedding!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeeeeehaaaaaa!!!!!

Calee said...

I love this post! You don't think about stuff like this that gets overlooked, maybe because it's because we should figure out the little things but even the the little things are a big deal at first!
Amen to the pez pills, why didn't every pregnant friend I've had tell me what a psycho I would turn into?!